Monday, October 25, 2010

Shedding versus Non-shedding breeds

I just realized I forgot to post the pics of all my other pets.  So here they are...  These 3 are the real trouble makers at our house!

"Gracie"

"Cedar"

                                                                        
'June' or 'Bug'


Ok, now down to business...  I had a request to write about this and it's a pretty interesting subject.  Just to start with, there really are not any non-shedding breeds unless your talking about hairless breeds(Sphinx and Mexican hairless).  And truthfully I have seen some of these breeds have a little hair on their heads or legs...
 
When we usually think of non-shedding breeds we think of Poodles, Shih-tzu's, Malteses, etc.  My dog Ebony is a poodle-cocker spaniel mix or a cockapoo.  I don't really notice any shedding from her, it's wonderful!   These breeds actually have 'hair' or a constantly growing coat.  It is very much like our own hair.  Pretty much all these breeds require grooming, soooo you trade shedding for grooming.

The shedding breeds have what I call 'fur'.  It grows to a pre-determined length and then is shed.  These are dogs like labradors, chihuahuas, shepards, etc.  The dogs breed, time of year, and/or environment are all normal things that can contribute to shedding.  Frequent brushing and bathing can really help with the amount of hair left on you and your furniture.  Some of the 'hairier' breeds like; labs, chows, shepards, could really benefit from a visit to the groomer for a 'blow-out and 'under-coat brush' during the high shedding seasons. 

Please remember there are also medical reasons an animal might shed excessively.  Your veterinarian can help determine if it is something that needs treatment.

I hope everyone found this interesting and informative.  I added links to look at these breeds.  These are purebred pictures, but there are many wonderful mixes out there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment