Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Online Pet Pharmacies - BUYER BEWARE

I just have to put in my 2 cents about online pet pharmacies.  I as a veterinarian, I of course, want you to buy your prescription products from me.  And it's not all about my bottom line, as most people would think.  I truly want what is best for your pet.  That includes several things from making sure you get the right size of medicine for your pet to making sure the product is in date. 

According to the FDA;   Illegal online pharmacies may sell medicines that are counterfeit, outdated, mislabeled, incorrectly formulated, or improperly made or stored. These medicines may not contain the actual drug, may contain contaminants, or the incorrect amount of drug, may not work as well due to age or being stored in conditions that were too hot, cold, or humid, and may not have the proper directions for use.  This is an informational brochure from the FDA, they are trying to help make pet owners A.W.A.R.E of problems with pet pharmacies.  Here is the link. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm203000.htm


I have numerous clients that use online pharmacies with no problems, but I do have a few examples and words of caution.  My number one problem is that most drug companies will not honor their product guarantee's(Ex:  paying for heartworm treatment if the dog gets heartworms while on the product) if the product is not sold by a veterinarian.  A few of the online pharmacies have gotten around this by they themselves offering a product guarantee.  I think this is fine but make sure you clearly understand the pharmacy policy.   FYI:  The treatment for heartworms is currently on indefinite manufacture back order, which means we can't get it!

I have also had clients get things online that were in other languages, this one was in French.  This really had me wondering what was in the little vials that were supposed to be Frontline....

I have also had clients bring me products that are not the right size/weight for their pet.  This is most common in young dogs that are growing, but occasionally with adult pets that just put on a few pounds.  It is very important especially with heartworm prevention that you get the right size.  I don't like to over or under dose pets. 

The last thing that I try to tell clients is: 'We often don't get the requests from the online pharmacy'.  I guess instead of telling the owner they were unable to fax the request they just tell them we declined the prescription.   We get a lot of calls from owners that are very upset because of this.  So, please if you decide to get your prescriptions filled online and it is declined, Call Us!  More than likely we never got a request.

We have owners sign a waiver if they are going to get meds filled online and just like a human doctor we require a yearly wellness exam before writing any prescription.  This helps us make sure your pet is healthy enough for those medications and taking the appropriate type and dose.  Please don't be shy about asking your veterinarian about online pharmacies, I know I am happy to share my knowledge and give you any advice I can.  I agree with the FDA totally, online pharmacies are a definite Buyer Beware!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment