Thursday, November 18, 2010

$$$$ Expensive Dog Breeds $$$$

I added a poll to see what the favorite dog breed is, as a way to lead into the most expensive dog breeds.  This is from Trupanion a pet insurance company.  The numbers are based on claims submitted by their policyholders since August 12, 2000.  These are only numbers for pets that have insurance, what about the millions that don't???!!!! 


The number one most expensive dog breed is the:  English Bulldog

The total amount spent was ~1 BILLION DOLLARS!!!  The average claim amount was $370. 
This breed is prone to such things as cherry eye, brachycephalic syndrome(smushed face/nose causing a whole list of problems), hip dysplasia, etc.  I might add that, many I see also have a considerable amount of skin issues as well.  This breed just crams in alot of dog into a very compact package.  When that happens your just asking for health issues.







The number deux is the:  Bernese Mountain Dog
Total spent- $554,000 Million, $412 per claim

This breed is prone to cataracts, elbow dysplasia, stomach torsion, and mast cell tumors.
These are beautiful dogs but I don't really see too many of them in Texas.  It's probably a little too hot here in the summer.





The #3 is the:  Rottweiler

The total claim amount is: $532,000 Million, $567 per claim.

Trupanion lists breed problems as allergies, elbow dysplasia, stomach torsion, and hypothyroidism.  I feel that on Rotties my number one complaint is bone problems(knees, elbows and hips).  The next thing I think of when I see a Rottie is bone cancer, yet again a bone problem.








The number four is the:  Great Dane

The big one is the Dane
Total amount spent is $462,000 million, with an average claim of $385.

These are massive dogs so most of their problems are also bone problems such as elbow and hip dysplasia.  They can also have heart conditions and stomach torsions.  When you have such a huge dog, it can come with huge problems as well.








The number 5 is the: French Bulldog(Frenchie)


Policyholders have spent $384,000 with the average claim of $355.

This breed has similar problems as the English Bulldog.  It has allergies, brachycephalic syndrome, hip problems, and small nose holes(stenotic nares).  To me this breed is just the little brother to the English bulldog, they have their share of medical issues but nothing compared to the English. 



-This post is just a FYI, I have no preference to any breed of dog.  This will probably get me yelled at by many people but I love a Heinz 57-mixed breed just the same as any purebred.  They all have their good things and their bad things.  These five breeds just tend to have a little more due to their conformation and size.-

1 comment:

  1. I'm very glad I found your blog. Thanks for the sensible critique. I and my friends were just preparing to do a little analysis about this. I'm very glad to see such good information being shared freely out there.

    ReplyDelete